Thursday 17 September 2009

You Have Been Bestivaled.......Again

Whatagwan People
BESTIVAL!!! can't begin to explain how much I love that festival, this years did not disappoint. Those of you who went will know just how good it was, the weather alone was incredible. Such a friendly crowd of like minded people all giggling away in the sun during the day and skanking their bodies to oblivion at night.

Personally this was the 3rd year in a row i've been and I found that this year was the year of discovery. I don't think that I could pin point one standout highlight, so i'm going to post songs from the various the multiple high points of the festival...

Metronomy....I am in love with this band, they played on the first day, and were absolutely incredible

Metronomy - Radio Ladio

Golden Silvers were good too, nice sort of glammy funky pop stuff from them. They played early on the second day and although I wasn't the biggest fan before I saw them I was converted slightly.

Golden Silvers - True Romance

This year there was a lot of good dubstep on the bill. Caspa, Joker, Appleblim, Reso, Skream etc. I made a few sacrifices by missing a few of these acts because they are easily seen in clubs all over the country. I saw Caspa though and he was sick though mainly because of MC Azlan who is a true joker - "make some noise for Caspa, the friendliest ghost in town". Although I didn't hear this tune being dropped I would love to think that one of the more minimal dubstep djs on the bill might have dropped it, you can't see everyone though can you!

Pinch - Moition Sickness

We've already mentioned Christian A1 Bassline on the blog before because we love him. But he always deserves another mention. His set in the hidden disco was too quiet for some reason which was a bit sad really because he was killing it as usual.

Buraka Som Sistema - IC19 (A1 Bassline Remix)

On saturday night Mad Decent Soundsystem took over the biggest indoor tent. If I try talking about how good that 4 hours was I start to get too excited and mumble like an idiot. Basically Thomas Wesley Pentz better know as Diplo had that tent locked down and made it his own. It was like a festival within a festival, there was a carnival atmosphere all over the place. Major Lazor, Buraka Som Sistema, Boy 8 Bit and Diplo all did sets that just blew everyone away and it quenched my thirst for some ethnic rhythms and beats and got everyone skanking like they were in a Jamaican dance hall or an Luandan back street. I couldn't even drag myself away to go and see what will probably be a historic one off performance by Kraftwerk, Diplo owned it....

Buraka Som Sistema -
Kalemba (Wegue Wegue) feat. Pongo Love

Florence and the Machine -
Drumming Song (Boy 8-Bit Remix)

Laidback Luke and Diplo - Hey! (L-Vis 1990 Remix)



I'm banging on a bit now, and could go on for longer, so here's the last bit. Late on saturday night after my mind had been blown by the Mad Decent crew, we stumbled upon a tiny tent called the astronaut academy. We had to crawl through a tunnel to get into which wasn't the most desirable of activities at the time, but what was at the end of the tunnel was a surprise that only bestival could conjour up. I saw one of the most diverse dj sets i've ever seen. The guy was killing it in every way mixing up genres all over the place. I never found out what he was called but he had a beard, that's all I know.....imagine one second you've got a classic from the human league, then a wobbler from crookers, then a deep tech house tune from laidback luke and a trak and then a classic police song remixed into distorted electro weapon, It was amazing, a true discovery.....

The Human League - Don't You Want Me (Morsy Mix)

The Police - Roxanne (DiscoTech Remix)

and this one... if you don't know it already, kill yourself you have no hope of a happy life left, it's a get out jail free card for djs but who cares?

New Order - Blue Monday

I can't post music from bands like Fleet Foxes but they were amazing too as were soulwax, 2 many dj's etc.

If you went I hope you had a much fun as me and my friends did. If you didn't go book your ticket for next year, it will never disappoint, it aint called best ival for no reason.....

safe x

No comments:

Post a Comment